Term: Voice Search Optimisation
Definition: Voice Search Optimisation refers to the process of enhancing a website and its content to improve visibility and rank higher in voice search results.
Alternative Names: Voice SEO, VSO
Expanded Explanation: With the increasing usage of virtual assistants like Siri, Google Assistant and Alexa, voice search optimisation is becoming an essential part of SEO strategies. It involves creating content in a more conversational tone, focusing on long-tail keywords and optimising for local searches spoken into mobile devices.
Benefits or Importance:
- Improves the visibility of a website in voice search results, increasing its reach.
- Enhances user experience by providing accurate and fast responses to voice queries.
- Prepares your website for the future as the usage of voice search continues to grow.
Common Misconceptions or Pitfalls: One common misconception is that voice search optimisation is the same as traditional SEO. While they share similarities, voice SEO also requires focusing on more natural language, question-based content and a strong emphasis on local SEO.
Use Cases: Businesses with a local presence, mobile apps, or products/services that are frequently searched for through voice assistants can greatly benefit from voice search optimisation.
Real-world Examples: An example of voice search optimisation could be a local pizzeria owner optimising their website with phrases like “best pizza near me” or “pizza delivery open now”, which are common voice search queries.
Best Practices or Tips:
- Use natural, conversational language in your content.
- Optimise for long-tail, question-based keywords.
- Ensure your website is mobile-friendly as most voice searches happen on mobile devices.
Limitations or Considerations: Not all industries or businesses may benefit equally from voice search optimisation, especially if their target audience doesn’t frequently use a voice search functionality.
Comparisons: While similar to traditional SEO, voice search optimisation often involves targeting more conversational phrases with longer terms. It also requires a greater focus on local search.
Historical Context or Development: With the advent of smartphones and smart speakers, voice search has seen rapid growth over the past decade. As technology continues to evolve, it’s expected that voice search optimisation will become increasingly important in SEO strategies.
Resources for Further Learning:
- Search Engine Journal: How to Optimize Content for Google Voice Search
- HubSpot: How and Why to Optimize Your Website for Voice Search in 2022
- SEO Services – Turn to Bird Marketing for help with improving the results you get from your digital marketing budget.
- Local SEO Services – Our local SEO services can include voice search optimisation to help your website rank higher in voice search results.
Related Terms: SEO, Mobile SEO, Local SEO, Long-tail Keywords